Prayer is a conversation with our father. It is our connection. As a history buff I have often thought about how difficult it would have been to have a strong relationship with another person when the only option was writing letters. But if we don’t pray, that is all the relationship we have with our abba father.
In my relationship with our father I have discovered three different types of prayer. All are important and happen at different times and ways.
Prayers of desperation
These in the moment, lifting up prayers about immediate issues, questions, or problems seeking God’s guiding hand. This is something that I have been in the habit of for a long time, and how I pray most frequently. More often then not, I simply ask “Lord, I have no idea what to say or do, give me direction”.
Prayers of conversation
These are longer, more in depth prayers where both talking and more importantly listening happens. For me I periodically will take a pen and journal, disappear to somewhere quite and listen, lifting up my thoughts, plans, concerns and weakness and listening for God’s whispers in response.
Prayers of everyday
These are the prayers for the every day things that go on all the time, for the lives of your family, the daily conversation about what is going on with God. And these prayers are my weakness, and my new challenge.
My difficulty has always been remembering to do it, and when I do remember maintaining focus enough to follow through on a list of people and things that I want to pray for. As a consequence I feel that I don’t pray for my wife as I should, as I have been called to do.
If this is sounding familiar I would encourage and challenge you to join me in a week of daily prayer for your wife. In order to get around the obstacles of remembering and focus I would encourage you to spend a few minutes each day praying the way that Jesus taught us, only modified with specific aspects of your wife in mind.
Our Father, in heaven, holy is your name.
- Pray for her spirit of worship today
Your will be done, in earth as it is in heaven.
- Pray for her to hear the whisper of God’s voice,
- To know His will in all that she is doing.
- Pray for her to find the strength to carry out His will today.
Give us this day our daily bread.
- Pray for God to provide her the resources she needs today.
- For the Lord to provide her abundant time to achieve all that she has to do.
- Strength to overcome obstacles, and help meeting all the needs of you and your family.
And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.
- Help me to have a spirit of forgiveness towards my wife.
- Search my spirit and show me any areas I need to forgive my wife.
- Help her as she goes through her day today to walk in a spirit of peace and forgiveness.
- Help her to fully know and understand that she is forgiven, and to see herself as you see her.
And lead us not into temptation,
- Guard her mind and actions today
- Pray for any areas where your wife may struggle
Deliver us from evil.
- Protect her from the flaming arrows of the evil one.
- Protect her from danger.
- Pray for blessing over her.
For yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, for ever and ever.
- Help her to have a special Kingdom mindset today.
- Help her to lean not on her own power, but to depend on You in everything she is doing today.
- Help her to give You the glory in all that she does.
Of course feel free to add specifics for your wife as God leads you in each of the areas. Using this technique should help with remembering and with focus. If you need to add it to your calendar go ahead! A scheduled prayer is still taking time with God to lift up your special beloved.
I hope that you will join me in a week of daily prayer for your wife. I am excited to see how God will bless the simple act of taking time to life up my one flesh beloved everyday.